Recently, the United Kingdom has legalized the creation of three-parent babies. In this video, Dr. Klaus Wiemer, clinical director at Poma Fertility, discusses the following topics on this controversial subject from a scientific perspective.
Topics include the following:
- What does the term three parent babies mean?
- How are three parent babies made?
- What are some of the concerns about three parent babies?
- What medical conditions do three parent babies solve?
- How does mitochondrial disease affect people?
- What are the objections people have to three parent babies?
- Are there moral objections three parent babies?
- Does three parent babies describe the procedure?
- Will three parent babies be a precursor to changing laws allowing designer babies?
- How common are mitochondrial disorders?
- How are mitochondrial disorders passed on?
- How can mitochondrial disorders be prevented?
- Is the transfer of mitochondria safe and effective?
- How can mitochondrial transfer be applied elsewhere in IVF
- What are Dr. Wiemer’s personal views on mitochondrial transfers?
- What is the cost benefit analysis of mitochondrial transfers?
- In the future, how will embryo screening affect IVF?
- What are some of the benefits of embryo screening?